Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hoop Recipe: Good n' Grippy.

Recently, a student of mine turned me on to an awesome tip/trick when making hoops to add grip and style, as well as prolong the life of the hoop. 

First you will need to get your naked hoops, scissors, one grip and one decorative tape.
(Don't know how to make naked hoops? Don't worry, I am doing a how-to post soon. Or, you can go here.)

Next, tape your hoop with the decorative (non grip/ non gaffers) tape


Then, instead of using gaffer's tape to twist around your hoop, cut off a strip at between 6-8 inches. (You can make them smaller, but larger gets harder to tape evenly.)


Tape the strip to the inside of the hoop. Make sure to follow the tape with your fingers to get out all the air bubbles. Continue cutting strips and smoothing them on to the inside of the hoop until the inside is covered.



When you have finished, tape around the hoop with the same color gaffer's tape.


Cue the trumpets! You have now made a grippy, protected hoop! And, it looks cool! 
Do it twice and you'll get:


An awesome set of mini's perfect for learning new moves because the hoop stays on your hand better. I love this technique! I love the look - it feels great on or off the body and my hoops will last longer. WIN!


3 comments:

Shannon said...

How does this protect the hoop?

Spooky said...

since the decorative tape is sealed down completely from the inside it is much harder for it to fray! it's really made a difference - I've banged 'em up plenty but they still don't have any tears :)

Shannon said...

Right now, all my hoops get torn from the outside. The inside is perfect. Like my flammer is smooth where it hits me but it's all scratchy and all that on the outside from hitting stuff. Although I don't hoop with decorative much. I need the grippy!