Saturday, March 5, 2011

Summersaulting Thoughts*

Well, things can't always go according to plan. 

A series of unfortunate events occurred today which made it impossible to make it to the workshop. My ride fell ill, something I understand all too well, (at times, my stomach seems to turn completely against me, without warning or cause) I was without my car, and the workshop was popular enough to fill the cars of the others going out that way. I was bummed to miss something that seemed pretty rad but, really, you have to roll with the punches.


An earlier version of myself would've felt guilty about missing this type of event. I wanted to be there, and I couldn't make it happen. Guilt, guilt, guilt. My goal is to become more immersed in the hoop community so missing an event = set back. But, today, it was so nice to realize that this wasn't a big deal. So I missed it. I have another workshop in two weeks anyway. Now what do I want to do with my day?


Well, I still wanted to have fun. In fact, I still wanted to do acro hoops... so...I did.
Weeeeeeeee!
Documenting everything for Day Five

I grabbed my hoops, camera, and yoga mat and made an afternoon of summersaults, cartwheels and hooping. Acro Hoop Success!


Some successes being more successful than others.
It's so easy to plan, plan, plan, plan and then screech to a stop when anything unaccounted for arises. I've found that now that I am more involved with my passions, I don't feel that way. You have to give yourself breaks - even for things for which you have set goals and plans. In fact, those might be the most important times to do so. 

If you are going to beat yourself up, don't do it mentally. Grab your hoops and cartwheel your way to a few bruises.


*Did you know that you can spell it both summersault and somersault?
Nifty.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I haven't done a somersault in years! Or a cartwheel. Now I'm curious if I still can do them... lol. I'll have to wait until the snow disappears to try though. I love your first picture. You look great!

Spooky said...

When the snow clears you should get out there! So much fun - and I think the last time I did one I was probably 12. Some things are just too good to forget

Shannon said...

I don't think I'll ever be able to do that. I've never been able to do a cartwheel. But that does look fun!

But way to go on doing your own acrohoops! Yay!

Spooky said...

Hey never say never! I remember when I first starting hooping and everything seemed ridiculously hard. I NEVER (haha) thought I would be doing cartwheels and hooping...
And hey, even if cartwheels are not your bag, hooping is still rad on it's own

Unknown said...

Fantastic determination. Im glad you didn't let a minor obstacle get in the way of your learning. Looking at your pictures, it looks like you did a great job, especially with that one handed cartwheel.

Keep practicing your acro. And never get discouraged. You're doing awesome.

Zach (of NinjaHoops)

Spooky said...

^ whaaa a ninja hooper! TOO RAD. I am so bummed I didn't get to go - but, I kept the spirit alive. The cartwheels killed my hoop though - do you all have a method of holding it so it doesn't get warped?