Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day 4: Face Your Fear

It's Day 4 of Hoop Boot Camp and today is all about facing your fear. My greatest hoop fear? That I will not be successful and am, actually, not a very good hooper. Welp, dunno how I would face that in a half hour hoop session - but maybe that is exactly the problem.

My fears tend to be too big, overarching, and general, and certainly too vague to conquer. I need to pare it down so that I can question my fears. What evidence do I have of my fear coming true? What conflicting evidence do I have? How can I break down that fear into a series of answerable questions? 

I find it helpful to rephrase them in terms of 'goals,' as in, if my biggest fear is not being a successful hooper - my goal is to be a successful hooper. Now I have to think about how to get there and what exactly I mean by success. It's important to be precise with these types of things so that each goal has a clear plan that can go along with it. If not, then it's like always being stuck at square one. No goals like "feeling better," because, hey? What are you going to do to get there. Use that info to rephrase your goal to make it action oriented. (As in, 'what would make me feel better?' I would feel better if I danced more. Goal: Become more involved with dancing.) From there I ask myself, what are the smaller goals you can plan out to reach the overarching ones? (Sign up for a dance class) What are the steps for those as well, and so on. 

BIG GOAL:
-Support myself financially as Professional Hoop Dance Teacher/Performer/Maker & Physical Trainer

SMALLER GOALS:
-Talk to financial planner about business practices
-Increase class numbers 
-Increase number of classes held throughout week
-Get Fitness Certified

STEPS FOR SMALLER GOALS
-Call bank
-Purchase Fitness Certification Text Book/Schedule Test Date
-Create marketing materials for classes
-Attend more hoop workshops and classes

Now, for my personal use this would also have specific numbers I'd like to reach and a time frame of when. That way, I feel like I know what I am aiming for when I get started. With this in place, I have a clearer path - and just knowing where to start can be the biggest relief in dealing with fear.

I would suggest not leaving your checklist blank.
Though, it may be a very easy way to feel
super accomplished
But, it's also important not to forget all that I have done up to this point. Whenever I get really stressed, I think about all that has brought me closer to my goals in the last year or two and use that as evidence that I will continue to go farther. I have grown this blog, finished my website, started a new class, gotten a new private client and signed up to perform. Yay! Take THAT fear.

What are your fears? 
How can you map goals to overcoming them? 
And, most importantly, what have you done up to this point that has gotten you closer to them? You may be surprised at how much work you've already accomplished!

Hoop Lovers offered this inspirational quote to help for today: 

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one, 
Elbert Hubbard

well said, Elbert. Well said.

Time to face those fears goals and get my hoop on!

No comments: