Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Gryropulse: Gig Preparation.

How timely. I read this article on gig preparation a little bit ago and thought there were some great tips for newbies and pro's alike. From Sean at Gyropulse:

"Okay.  So having done a number of gigs over the years I felt it pertinent to share my views on how to prepare for a gig in order to come off a both professional and fabulous.

Choose the Right Music.  If you have a choice of music, LUCKY YOU!  We often don’t get that luxury. To me, choosing music is both a blessing and a curse. I tend to agonize over choices for hours. There comes a time when you just have to pick.  But make sure you KNOW your music. Make sure your audience finds it ENJOYABLE (no dubstep for a 50 yr old birthday party). Make sure YOU find it ENJOYABLE (everyone can tell.  trust me.). I have about numerous old “standbys” that I use in basically every gig I do. I’m pretty sure I’ve performed to Jamiroquai’s Canned Heat at least 50 times. Right now, the next two contenders appear to be “Under Pressure”and “Filthy, Gorgeous. But yes, make sure you like your music. Make sure you want to dance to it even when you’re not holding a toy. Make sure it’s time appropriate (If you know your wicks burn out after 2.5 minutes, don’t spin to Freebird–having someone hit next on an ipod is awkward.  Cut it down if you can, or just choose a different song.)
Get Gussied Up. It separates the men from the boys. It makes you look like you actually prepared something, even though we all know you’re just going to improvise and pretend it was planned. Ladies, put on some extreme makeup. Gentlemen, put on some extreme makeup. Get on your best spandex, try to match your fellow troupe mates in color scheme or literary genre. Just do something. There is a BIG difference between what you wear when you’re jamming with your friends and what you wear when you’re on display. Even try to dress up for local jams, especially if the jam is open to the public. I feel that if there is that guy in the crowd who wants a fire performer, he’ll pick the one who looks like a fire PERFORMER. But please please please….when they’re paying you…..make sure you look worth it.  READ MORE

Scaredy Penquin, it's okay - we want to support you!
There are many more awesome tips -just follow the link above!
As far as I am concerned - music choice is a curse at this point! I have talked myself in and out of so many songs it's making my head spin. I plan on definitely being 'gussied' with my kickin' olive pants and long eyelashes (plus more makeup than I wear the every other day of the year combined) but, bottom line, performing is scary.  But, as long as I remember that the threat I think exists (this will be the worst thing I ever do and horribly embarrassing) most likely does not, it's okay.
For me - I am trying to remember that hooping is FUN. People don't come out to shows to hate all over you  - and I have been hooping forEVER. It's crazy how much a stage can change your perception of what you "need" to do. I have the tendency to demand perfection of myself (and, sadly, sometimes others) but this is an area where that just needs to GO! 
A big billboard like this - right outside my house is just what I need

I often remind myself not to let perfection get in the way of progress. This performance is just one step closer to getting to where I want to be - and I will take it one step at a time. 
Best gig preparation yet? Understanding that fear is normal. It's what you choose to do next that matters. And I am choosing to get up there, feel the fear, let it happen - and then hoop it up anyway! 
Now if only I could decide on the right song...

No comments: