Friday, April 22, 2011

"I am only a tourist in the sighted world."




These were posted here a bit ago and I completely fell in love with the dream like state created by each photo. They look like watercolor paintings that got caught in the rain and then blown by the wind. How does photographer Pete Eckert create such beauty when he is completely blind? 

He did not begin life blind, and was actually a very visually motivated person before being diagnosed with an incurable condition resulting in his blindness. he didn't let that stop him from finding his art. Read his story and the motivation behind his art below and on his website


A short history of how I got into photography.

I didn’t take photography seriously until I went totally blind. I was trained in sculpture and industrial design. I have always been a visual person and planned to study architecture at Yale, but then I started to lose my sight. A doctor coolly told me I had Retinitis Pigmentosa and left the room without further comment. While listening to Dr. Dean Edell, on a San Francisco TV network, I learned I would go completely blind. A caller asked about RP. I remember the doctor’s words; they hit me like a hammer. “A person with RP gradually looses their sight until they go completely blind.“ There is currently no cure for RP. Read More

No comments: