Monday, April 11, 2011

Playing Dress Up Through Time

Great hoop dresses and their inspiration. 
(and my random commentary on them.)

+ =

1920's flapper meets Jane Birkin 70's slinkiness

That fringe would look pretty epic in motion - but, you would definitely want to make sure that your moves were down pat, because that material looks slippery.

Winona Ryder in Reality Bites (1994)

The 90's.  I really do miss you. And I miss a large floral dress being a really cool thing to wear 
- which was why I was so happy to find: 
90's-TASTIC! 

A hoop video featuring these dresses would also have to include a shaggy haired man strumming an acoustic guitar and someone storming away after an esoteric philosopher was quoted. Particularly in reference to someone's life choices. Just go with me on this. So nineties. (I want to hoop while draped in nostalgia.)


Classic nautical stripes. 

Why do so many people say that we shouldn't wear stripes? They are classic.  I think that we could escape that whole "stripes make you look wide" thing if we were spinning in circles. Right? Right? Only one way to find out...

I see hoop clothes everywhere. Particularly when Urban Outfitters sends me their new dresses in an email. But seriously... can someone explain THIS to me:
 
inspiration: this? 
(terrifying) 

Thanks for listening to my stream-of-consciousness for the afternoon.

No comments: