Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Musings on Hooping at the Airport



The German announcements totally add to this video. I love it! Reeeemix. 

Anyway - I have heard of hoopers going for it at the airport and it is giving me hope! I leave for a long, long day of travel tomorrow and have a 3hr layover that would be sure to pass much more quickly if I could bust out my hoop!

I'll see what the crowd is like before I get started, though. Security wise, hooping at the airport doesn't bother me in the slightest; I am sure that if I was told to put my hoop away it would be no problem. It's the other passengers that I think about more because as weird as it may seem to non hoopers, sometimes attention is the very last thing that I want when I am hooping.

Hooping would totally make the security line seem faster
Alright, fine - what are folks supposed to do? Psychically read my mind and guess that the girl jumping, turning and spinning around with a bright hula hoop is not looking for attention? Not likely. It's not that I mind people watching me hoop - usually it's great! It can just be awkward in those instances when people may think that I am performing for money or attention when I am really just passing time. But, ya know, hooping is just a lot more obvious than playing cards. 

Then there are the kids to think about. Nothing has magnetic powers over children more than a hula hoop. Sometimes it's weird to me that parents let their kids hang out unsupervised with the hooper even though they are a total stranger. Not that it would be the most sly of moves to attract kids with a hula hoop and then - I dunno - try and steal them (or whatever they are teaching kids in Stranger Danger these days.) 

In an ideal world I can find a lil' isolated spot to get a few minutes of spin time tomorrow. I will need it with all that sitting, sitting, sitting on the plane. I am just going to bring one of my travel hoops with me, coiled down and hanging over my shoulder for easy access during impromptu hoop sessions. 

But, I am bringing a pack of cards, too - just in case. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally understand. I don't think I could do it. I hate drawing attention to myself unnecessarily, and I'd much rather read a book in the corner and stay out of everyone's way than break out my hoops. I admire people who can just hoop away without a care in the world, but I am like you- I don't want them to think I'm wanting attention or trying to perform and do something strange.