Monday, May 2, 2011

Time to Get Your Face On.

People look at your face first - you may as well understand and control the message you are sending. It's time to put your face on. What I am speaking to is performance make-up: big, bright, colorful and (most certainly) over the top. It completes a costume and goes a long way in selling an act or persona. 

Tash from the Gyronauts explains how to do some quick and easy colorful eyes, sure to draw attention.


As someone who got (way) out of the whole make-up habit, I was surprised how much adding color to my face really changed the way I felt and thought about practicing and performing. Suddenly, I believed that I was a performer. When you feel it, the audience can see it. But, you don't have to be entertaining a crowd to experiment. Just the process of "getting ready" makes it feel as though I were preparing for something important, and I used that energy in my practice - even when it was only for myself.  (And hey, if you are terrible with make-up and end up looking like a clown caught in a hurricane - that's fine too. It's all about trying something new and discovering something you didn't know was there.)

No comments: