Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Where I've Been and I'm Going: Hoop Self Interview

I saw these questions on Shannon's hoop blog and couldn't help but revisit them myself. 

Hooping in 2008
Hooping...last week.
- How old are you ? 
24

Would you call yourself a beginner, intermediate or advanced hooper ? 
If I was walking into an introductory class, I would look like an advanced hooper. If I was hooping at a con with seasoned pro's I would look like a beginner. After hooping for a few years I stopped tryingt o find a level. It didn't make sense. There are so many different hoop styles out there it is impossible to classify everyone as this or that. I am a student of the hoop and always will be. Uhm. Short answer, "no."

How often do you hoop ? 
Everyday. 

- Do you have an indoor hoop space ? 
ANY indoor space can be an indoor hoop space. I never buy it when people say they 'don't have room to hoop.' I hooped in a closet-sized dorm room with a big beginner hoop for months. You can hoop wherever you are!

Would you say that you are obsessed with or addicted to hooping ?

- Have you posted hooping videos ? How many? 
I have! When I first answered these I took tons of videos of my practice but NEVER thought I would work up the courage to actually post them. Now I have a YouTube Channel with 14 videos. I am sad because there isn't a lot of feedback offered. My fear initially was that trolls would be mean about what I posted. Then one day I was like, 'wait, why do I care if someone is mean to me? It's happened before - and guess what? I lived!' But now I would taken mean over radio silence. 

I do now. I think I have made a hoop for pretty much every one of my friends. And all past roommates. Literally. Hmm. But, when I first moved here I had ZERO hoop buddies. In a way it was wonderful, because the process was truly my own. With the blog, classes, jams and teaching the process has become much more external, which can be exhausting at times. But it is also very rewarding and I think a few of my buddies have caught the hoop bug hard. AWWWW YEAAAAAH.

- Do you teach hooping ? 
Yes. I like to think of it as being more of a 'guide' than a teacher though. I feel that a free flowing class, where folks have the chance to practice, ask questions and explore on their own works best for me. I am just there to show 'em a few interesting things along the way.

Read on for weight loss & the hoop, the right way to tell off folks who don't appreciate adults hula hooping and experiences in naked hooping. Oh! RACY! 

- What size is your favorite hoop ? 
Poly Pro. 30". My love <3

- Have you lost weight since starting to hoop ? 
Surprisingly, yes. I didn't really notice a change for the majority of my hoop time - and that's when I was also going to the gym, doing Pilates and Yoga. Ever since I fell off the bandwagon with everything except the hoop - weight loss! What? I lost 8lbs during the 30 Day Hoop Challenge.

- Are you comfortable hooping by yourself in a public place ?
"Who is the girl randomly hula hooping in the: park, parking lot, grocery store, movie theater, club, street?"  Oh, it's me.

- How did you learn the majority of the tricks you know today ? 
Just by hooping. Honestly after the foundational moves (vortex, chest and leg hooping, and chase weave) I just played with my hoop to learn.

- What advice would you give to to beginner hoopers ? 
Find your own style! Remember to PLAY. As a beginner, I was constantly trying to "be like" certain hoopers and I forgot that listening to myself and searching for innovation within were so important. You will save yourself lots of hoop ruts and self doubt if you remember to be yourself and not try to imitate someone else.

Visual Clue
- Do own an LED hoop ?
Does a dog have a nose? 

- What was the first trick you learned (besides waist hooping) ? 
The Vortex. Still one of the most impressive tricks when working a crowd. Love it.

- What is the last trick you mastered ? 
The kick-start. But, I have to say I have been working on refining style more than tricks and I think that the smooth lines of varying isolations, tosses and passes are what I am more proud of.

- What trick so far was the hardest for you to learn ? 
Bunny ear pass. 

- Which one are you finding is almost impossible to get ? 
Nothing is impossible. Just keep trying. It's not like I am on a time limit.

- How many hoopers would you say live in your town/city ?

- Have you performed hooping in front of an audience ? 
Yes! And hope to again very soon!

- Has anyone told you you were too old to be playing with a hula hoop ? 
I would let them know this.(NSFW)

- What’s the worst injury you’ve acquired from the hoop ?
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. When I caught my industrial piercing in the hoop. My ear ripped. It bled. There was a LOT of screaming that went down. 

- Have you ever hooped naked ?
Yes. If you do it - go with a poly pro, it's not nearly as cold as other hoops are against your skin. KymSpins naked hoop advice.

- Have you been to a hoop camp/retreat ? Which one ? 
Nope, but I am going to Hoop Fest New England in a few months!

-How did you get your hooping name? 
KymSpins. Well..."Kym" sounded good with "spin." I spin when I hoop. It was pretty much rocket science. 

No comments: