Sunday, March 20, 2011

Lonely Hooper? Innovate!

Tina B was an amazing instructor for the Disco Go Hoop workshop! Check out her great website for loads of info about hooping as well as a schedule of her events and classes.

What really struck me about the workshop was the uniqueness each of her moves. She mentioned that living pretty far out from the local hoop crowd has actually been a benefit since isolation can lead to to innovation. Without other hoopers influencing your moves you have freedom to experiment, find your own style and discover new twists on standard moves.
Only hooper for miles? You could be your
own best teacher

If you feel like the sole hooper in your area - don't fret! Just identify and experiment with your strengths.  You may surprise yourself with the innovative moves that are just waiting to be discovered.

Tina B has a natural skill for extra sassy passes and rolls and she played that up, much to the awe of the group.The best part? She plans on sending around descriptions of what we covered, so stay tuned for tips and tricks on how to incorporate some great new moves into your hoop repetoire. 

Now - time to practice. I want to nail down these new passes, combinations and rolls as well as think about my own hoop strengths. What moves do I always fall back on? Where is my comfort zone? 

I always think of the repetitive moves I do as being "rut worthy." Today I was inspired to take my strengths and turn them into my style. What's yours? 

No comments: